Sweet corn (Zea mays) is a very popular corn variety because it has a high sugar content that makes it perfect for human consumption. It is also called sugar corn and pole corn. Grow sweet corn because it is the best way to green up your home; sweet corn purifies the air and helps to add oxygen to the air, and you can also enjoy the growing corn stages. Corn is very helpful for our health, an antioxidant that cures many major diseases like cancer and heart disease. Buy the best quality sweet corn (Makka) seeds hybrid online at the best price in India from www.aarugagro.com with a high germination rate.
About this item
- Number of Sweet corn seeds (Makka ke beej): 25 Seeds
- Where to grow: Balcony or terrace garden
- Growing season: Summer and Rainy
- Sowing method: Direct
- Seeds sowing depth: 0.5-1 inch deep
- Germination temperature: 20-30°C
- Germination Time: 6 to 10 days
- Harvesting: 80-100 days
Sweet Corn Growing Season In India
Sweet corn grows best in warm climates and may not survive in cooler climates. You can sow sweet corn seeds during the summer and rainy seasons (March-September), although winter is also a good time to plant corn in South India.
How To Grow Sweet Corn At Home
The direct sowing method is best for sowing corn seeds as corn does not grow well with the transplant. Sweet corn seeds germinate best in a soil temperature of 20-30°C. Take a big pot or grow bag and sow the sweet corn seeds about 0.5-1 inch deep in the soil and planting corn spacing is 4-6 inches from each seed. Give water to the potted seeds through a watering can, the seeds will be germinated within 6-10 days.
Fertilizer For Sweet Corn
- Sweet corn fertilizer recommendations aren’t very high; Add any aged manure or organic fertilizer to your sweet corn plants every few weeks.
Sweet Corn Plant Care Tips
Sunlight: Sweet Corn prefers 6-8 hours of full sunlight every day.
Water: Give regular water to your sweet corn plant during summer days and give water every alternate day in the winter season.
Soil: Corn plants will grow best in well-drained soil, fertile and loamy soil.
Temperature: The ideal growing temperature for sweet corn plants is 21-32°C.
Common pests and diseases: Some pests like a snail, aphids, and earworm attack the corn plants, and some diseases that can affect your sweet corn plants are grey leaf spots, rust, downy mildew, ear rot, and many others. Look for the early sign of fungal, insect, or other infections, and spray organic pesticide neem oil to cure these symptoms.
Sweet Corn Flowering And Harvest Time
- Within 2 months the corn plants start to give flowers, They are typically pollinated by wind but some corn is cross-pollinated.
- Sweet corn is ready to harvest after 80-100 days of seed sowing.
- Harvest the sweet corn when the ears of the corn turn dark green, the silks turn brown and dried and the kernels are soft.
- Early morning and evening is the best time to cut the sweet corn when the temperature is cool.
Sweet Corn Special Features
- Common name: sugar corn, Indian corn, maize, Sweet corn (स्वीट कॉर्न)
- Scientific name: Zea mays
- Height: Above 8 feet
- Flower color: White and Yellow
- Level of growth: Easy
Why are my corn seeds not germinating?
Corn seeds will not germinate because of improper growing conditions like not getting enough sunlight, sowing seeds too deep in the soil, overwatering, or underwatering.